Long and slow process

Without track railroads don't work, my model one is no exception. Some people buy flex track and just glue it down. I tried that but didn't like the switches, because two of the four that I bought kept failing. Something, somewhere has to give and I'm not going to spend a load of money on stuff that does not come up to spec. The rail itself was passable, even it had the wrong profile. For near on two months, this has been a complete flop. I tried everything I could think of and then stepped back to consider whether the entire project was worth all this hassle.
lsp0.jpg

The problem

At first I thought it may be my fault, but the more I looked at Peco's 009 SL-491 switches, I realized it was the manufacturer's.
lsp01.jpg
One of 2 right hand switches I bought.

Inside the blue circle: this is not the way to make a switch! That flat little bit, after 2 or 3 uses, bends slightly and loses contact, both the right hand switches I bought did exactly the same. Straight on was fine, it's the curved blade that's at fault. Inside the yellow circle is the reason, that right angle is nasty. Normally switch blades retain the bottom part of the rail on the inside, which gives it some strength. This is just plain poor design and manufacture.

The switches I have are quite sharp, probably 12 inch radius forcing the bend, that's the reason. Others complain about them too. I have two Y switches and they work (there's not so much flex), so far.

So it's a watch this space at the moment.

PS: I've decided to not use my good Code 70 rail on this project and will keep for maybe a later one.



new comment notification is automatic
spam gets deleted
Make comment *Required
Name *
Email *
Website
Comment *

 




Follow this blog

Subscribe to this feed


Archive
Normally I run a travel blog, but when I'm not on the road I do other stuff to keep from getting bored.
- Ted

My travel blog
Simian Circles
The world is not in your books or digital devices—it's out there.

© 2020, Li'l Lines